|Featured Models||Arya Viju|
|Photographers||Praveen Nilgiris from In Stylevogue|
|Casting Agency||Ezrah Model Management|
Have you ever shopped online and found that the product descriptions sounded unbelievably good – so good it almost felt too good to be true? How do agencies and e-commerce sites come up with such cleverly designed product lines and descriptions that make us want to buy them?
The answer is simple – the right kind of product description writing.
Crafting a great product description takes thought, creativity, thorough research, and a knack for storytelling. It can help enhance search engine optimization (SEO), increase conversions, drive sales volumes substantially, define your brand from competitor’s products…the list goes on.
Let’s explore what makes an effective fashion product description that sells and turns browsers into buyers.
Fashion Product Descriptions: How to Write One That SELLS!
In the fashion industry, where customers can’t physically touch or try on the products they’re browsing online, the art of writing compelling product descriptions becomes more than a necessity; it’s a powerful tool that can either make or break a sale.
An engaging, detailed, and well-crafted product description informs, persuades, inspires, and convinces customers to hit the ‘Add to Cart’ button.
Let’s go through the necessary tips and techniques to transform your product descriptions into your top salesperson.
1. Understand your Target Audience:
The first step towards writing compelling product descriptions is understanding your target audience. Consider their demographics, lifestyle, preferences, and why they would be interested in your product.
- Identify your Ideal Customer: If you’re selling trendy clothes for young adults, your style will be different from a brand that sells classic clothes for mature audiences.
- Speak their Language: Use words and phrases that resonate with your target audience. If your customers are fashion-forward and always following the latest trends, using industry jargon may attract them more.
2. Highlight the Features and Benefits:
Your customers want to know what they’re buying and why it’s worth their money. Don’t just list the features; instead, translate these features into benefits.
- State the Features: Describe the material, size, color, and design of the product.
- Showcase the Benefits: Explain how these features will enhance their wardrobe or solve problems. For instance, a water-resistant coat is not just useful for keeping dry; it allows the customer to remain stylish even in wet weather conditions.
3. Use Sensory Words:
Online shoppers rely heavily on visuals, but a well-written description can evoke the senses too.
- Engage the Senses: Use sensory words that allow customers to imagine what it’s like to touch, feel, and wear your products.
- Create an Experience: Help them visualize the softness of the cashmere sweater, the comfortable fit of the stretch jeans, or the admiring looks they’ll get in a dazzling dress.
4. Implement SEO Best Practices:
Your product descriptions should not only appeal to shoppers but also to search engines.
- Use Relevant Keywords: Identify and include search terms that potential customers would use to find your products.
- Avoid Duplicate Content: Make each product description unique to avoid SEO penalties.
5. Keep It Clear and Concise:
While it’s important to be detailed, a product description should not be overly long or complex.
- Break Up Text: Use bullet points and headings to make your description easier to read.
- Keep It Simple: Avoid complex jargon or unnecessary details that might confuse the customer.
6. Create a Sense of Urgency:
Creating a sense of urgency can encourage customers to make a purchase.
- Limited Stock Indication: Indicate when the stock is limited to encourage immediate purchases.
- Time-Bound Offers: Promote special offers that are time-limited to nudge customers into buying.
7. Encourage Customer Reviews:
Customer reviews can serve as compelling social proof.
- Incentivize Reviews: Offer incentives like discount codes to encourage customers to leave reviews.
- Highlight Positive Reviews: Showcase these reviews on your product page to reinforce the credibility and quality of your product. Seeing past customers’ satisfaction with the product can instill a sense of trust in potential buyers.
8. Incorporate Storytelling:
A compelling narrative can make your product description more engaging and memorable.
- Share the Brand Story: Elaborate on how your brand came into existence, the values it stands for, and how the product fits into this narrative.
- Describe the Product Journey: From sourcing materials to the final design, weave a story that makes your customers feel part of something bigger.
9. Use High-Quality Images:
While not directly a part of writing, images play a significant role in helping your product descriptions come to life.
- Multiple Angles: Include images from different angles to provide a 360-degree product view.
- Showcase Details: Close-up shots can help highlight the unique features of your product.
10. Make It Scannable:
Online readers typically scan through the content. Making your product descriptions scannable can enhance readability.
- Subheadings and Bullet Points: These break the text, making it easier for customers to absorb information.
- Highlight Key Features: Make essential features stand out so that they are easily noticeable at a glance.
- A/B Test Descriptions: Try different styles and formats for your product descriptions. Monitor the performance to understand what works best for your audience.
- Address Potential Objections: Anticipate and address any potential objections or concerns a customer might have. This will increase their comfort level in making a purchase.
- Be Transparent about Pricing and Shipping: Customers appreciate transparency, especially regarding pricing and shipping. Clearly mention the price of the product, any additional taxes, and the shipping charges.
- Constantly Update and Refresh Your Descriptions: Customer trends and preferences change over time, and so should your product descriptions. Regularly review and update your descriptions to ensure they remain relevant, appealing, and accurate.
Writing effective product descriptions is a combination of art and science. It requires creativity to tell a compelling product story and analytical skills to understand what resonates with your audience.
While it may seem daunting, it is an investment that can significantly boost your sales and elevate your brand image.
Whether you’re a budding fashion entrepreneur or an established brand, these tips will help you craft product descriptions that truly sell.